After managing millions of dollars advertising in the crypto, blockchain, and Web3 space, I've come to learn a thing or two about how to get approved for ads. Unfortunately, it's still a bit of the "Wild West," but I made this post as a resource to help your company.
In this post, I'll detail out exactly where you can submit for approval on each ad platform and let you know what terms to avoid in case you decide to advertise without it.
Note that I do not endorse advertising crypto, blockchain, or Web3 without approval, but am simply letting you know which words are "triggers" for reviews, disapprovals, and even bans.
Step 1: Find the Ad Platform You Are Advertising on Below and Determine if An Application is Required
- There's nothing about Crypto or Financial Services in their policy guidelines: https://searchads.apple.com/policies
- Data from Oct, 2022:
- The company is seemingly not against apps that implement or include digital currencies or tokens but said that apps "may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality." This includes things such as license keys, augmented reality makers, QR codes, cryptocurrencies and cryptocurrency wallets.
- Accounts need to be certified by Google to run these types of ads: https://support.google.com/adspolicy/answer/7645254?hl=en#zippy=%2Cnorth-and-south-america
- If you want to advertise in multiple countries, you will need to apply for each country in a separate application form and must receive a certification for each country.
- Ads related to the buying, selling or trading of cryptocurrencies are prohibited, other products/services that don’t involve that are restricted.
While it says you can advertise with restricted access if “approved,” in our experience, almost all crypto/web3/blockchain ads are not approved and are prohibited on Linkedin. See Microsoft’s restrictions above (as they own LinkedIn).
- You need prior written permission to run ads. https://transparency.fb.com/policies/ad-standards/content-specific-restrictions/cryptocurrency-products-and-services
- Check your eligibility before applying: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/438252513416690?id=595195347635322
- Check your eligibility before applying: https://about.ads.microsoft.com/en-us/policies/restricted-categories/finance#cryptocurrency-and-related-products
- Data from Jul, 2022:
- Limitations. Cryptocurrency ads will be rolling out in the United States only, and will be limited to only showing within the Microsoft Advertising Search Network. The inventory in the Microsoft Audience Network (display and native) won’t be eligible to run ads for the exchanges.
- Pre-approval required. In order to run ads, an exchange must be pre-approved by Microsoft advertising or must be “educational content” offered by the brand/first party. What will still be disallowed:
- Ads that promote crypto investments or training programs.
- Sites that monetize cryptocurrency advice or offer subscriptions, initial coin offerings or cryptocurrency wallets.
- Lastly, advertisers will need to adhere with regulatory and licensing requirements for all locations where their ads are targeted.
- Allowed but with restrictions: https://redditinc.force.com/helpcenter/s/article/Reddit-Advertising-Policy-Restricted-Advertisements#N8
- Ads may be subject to pre-approval, and advertisers may be requested to provide additional information and documentation to confirm the legitimacy of the products
- These type of ads are strictly prohibited or restricted in the majority of the countries: https://ads.tiktok.com/help/article/tiktok-advertising-policies-industry-entry-north-america?redirected=2
- TikTok is prohibiting creators from posting content relating to cryptocurrency. The short-form video platform has further imposed restrictions on companies looking to promote cryptocurrency through advertising on its platform.
- Allowed but with restrictions: https://business.twitter.com/en/help/ads-policies/ads-content-policies/financial-services.html
- Twitter updated its financial services policy to allow “a few specific” cryptocurrency products and services to run paid ads on its platform. Since then, some crypto marketers told us it’s been easier to get ads approved on the platform.
Step 2: If Your Application for Approval is Denied Or No Application is Required
If that request is denied, use the following as your guidelines for the ad creative and landing page to avoid suspension or an account ban. These are applicable to all ads and all landing pages used in the ad account.
Use extreme caution: one red light term on one landing page can suspend your entire ad account.
Green Light 🟢 - These Terms Typically Do Not Trigger Review
- Digital assets
- Digital collectibles
YELLOW LIGHT 🟡 - These Terms Occasionally Trigger Review or Disapproval of a Specific Ad
- Digital Currency
- Virtual Currency
RED LIGHT 🔴 - These Terms Typically Lead to a Suspension of Entire Ad Account
- Bitcoin/Ethereum/etc. (any specific coin name)